Thursday, March 09, 2006

Can you sweep Bergman Bowl and still ride Summit Express lift to PHQ????



The answer is .....HELL NO!!!!!

Ok, the funniest thing happen yesterday. I was sent out to sweep Bergman Bowl.

When you do this you get ride with a doo to the top of Erickson Bowl and get dropped off. The doo then sweeps the road to North Peak and picks up the Erickson Bowl sweeper. They meet you back at the top of Erickson. The Doo and Bergman sweep watch Erickson sweep the bowl and make sure they get down safely. At this point the Bergman sweeper then goes to the edge of his bowl and waits for the Doo driver to watch him sweep. Pretty easy right??

Well, yesterday I watch the Erickson guy ski the bowl and get down safely. I then do a low angle ski traverse to Bergman Bowl or what I thought was Bergman. Now I must say that yesterday was near white out conditions. I can't see the Doo so I radio to say I'm dropping in. The Doo says, OK. I ski the bowl and get to tree line and radio the Doo saying I'm down and OK. The Doo takes off back to PHQ and I begin my ski out.

This is where it gets weird. The snow was fantastic. The turns was sweet. So, I'm having a great time. But........It seemed it was taking a long time to get to the ski run I pop out on. Hmmmmm, oh well the skiing is so good so what of it.

I keep skiing out and out and out enjoying the 4-5 turns I can get off the sides of the valley. But then at one point I see a small cabin. I go to check it out and what do I see? I see a sign on it that says...." Are you lost?". I started laughing because now I'm really not sure where I am. Not a worried because I have my pack with skins and water and this drainage I feel pops out onto the main road getting to Keystone.

I read the sign more and it says to go to the right where there is a summer road to Santa Fe trail in 1800ft. I think this is weird because I think I'm on the other side near the Keystone Gulch Rd.

This is where ethe funny stuff happens. I call Craig Simpson's cell because he knows this mountain very well and I figure he'll know this cabin. He's doesn't answer. So I had to call PHQ dispatch. I didn't use the radio for obvious reasons. So I call Tony the dispatcher and he says, holy crap you're in Jones Gulch. No way, I say. But yes, I was in Jones Gulch.

Up top when I skied over to Bergman I must have traversed too high and too far to the right and went in to what is called Mudd Slide. And that Bowl comes out to Jones Gulch.

So, when I popped out onto Santa Fe trail and then skied down to River Run Tony called for me and I replied, River Run. Then he made an announcement over the radio that we do when we find lost people, attention channel 1 listeners James Fulton has been found. So, I called myself up the Summit Express lift, "Bergman sweep up Summit Express".

Well, that got everyone started. I get to PHQ and the ribbing began. You gotta love it. Everyone began making cartoons of me being lost. I'll get fined $1 for each cartoon.

I gotta say, I love making mistakes. If you can't laugh at yourself who can you laugh at. So, I can't wait till Sunday and see all the cartoons.

The pics above are me with a tag saying, Lost if found return to PHQ. And the other pic is of the beginning cartoon.

Must say, I do love this patrol.

No comments: