Saturday, November 21, 2009

Demo days at Loveland Ski Area.





Last Thursday was the second day of an Industry ski demo at Loveland ski area.

The snow was actually very good and the sun was out in force. It almost felt like a day of spring skiing. I was there with the Neptune Mountaineering crew and those folks are always a blast.

Hmmm.....what was interesting that I skied? Well, to start with I only tested Telemark gear. I was really interested in trying all the big rockered tipped skis.

The first ski I tried was the from Icelandic out of Denver. I skied the Nomad. Let me first say that I skied these skis 5 years ago when they first came on the scene. Back then I liked the skis but my only problem was they were a bit gimmicky. They were big, fat and very short. Now they are still big and fat but now a bit longer. I thought the ski was great and alot of fun. It felt big but then again it was a big ski. I had no problem pushing the Nomad around with the mounted Hammerhead bindings and my new, very sweet, Garmont Voodoo's. All in all, it was a nice ski with bitch'n graphics. I'd buy it.

I also skied the big Black Diamond skis like the Mega Watt and the Justice. These were interesting. The Volkl Gotama's with their new design and flex were awesome. The G3 skis like the El Hombre were as always fun. K2's were not a disappointment and never are to me. I skied all these skis and I'll post about them in future blog post. Come on, I can't write about everything or this post would be wayyyy too long.

For me the big disappointment of the day was the newest version of the NTN binding. I skied the very first version and every version since but this version I could not get into a telemark turn. My gawd, the thing was so stiff and active I felt it was skiing me and not me skiing it. I don't know what to say, I feel it's the future of telemark skiing but I don't know if I'll live long enough to see that future. The one good thing I can say is...It makes a great alpine binding that tours nice.

For the women out there, Camille (ski tester extraordinaire) Loved the Volkl Aura with the Marker Baron bindings

No comments: